Home Forums Living with Chronic Pain Healthy Boundaries – How do you protect your energy?

• Healthy Boundaries – How do you protect your energy?

Posted by I-Engage on February 17, 2023 at 4:28 pm

Hello friends,

We all have boundaries – they help us navigate our personal relationships in a way that protects us, physically, emotionally, socially, etc. Do you have any specific boundaries in your life that come to mind?

One type of boundary that is essential for folks with chronic pain is the kind that protects your energy. Examples of this kind of boundary might be saying no to any unnecessary plans, setting a time-frame for socialization, or choosing certain activities over others – all to avoid overdoing it.

Reply and let us know what kind of energy-preserving boundaries you have set or want to set. How do you communicate these boundaries in a respectful, but clear, way?

– Hannah (I-Engage Community Manager)

Evan replied 2 weeks, 3 days ago 2 Members · 1 Reply
  • 1 Reply
  • Evan

Administrator
    March 8, 2023 at 10:42 am

I believe that pacing is one of the best strategies I’ve used.

Pacing is taking a break before pain or tiredness become overwhelming and forces an activity to stop. It is a skill that needs patience and practice. You need to be aware of the effort that an activity involves and balance this with rest breaks or a change in activity to reduce the energy drain.

The benefit is that you won’t drain your energy tank as fast and leaving you with a deficit. The net win is that you may actually be able to increase the total amount of activity achieved over a number of days, versus burning out and paying for overactivity! This will also help to build up stamina, confidence and self-efficacy, once you master the process.